Be kind to yourself and others — your health matters.
How to thrive:
- Be careful: Self-care is integral to thriving. Develop a self-care plan, write it down and follow it.
- Be optimistic: there is always something more you can do to improve your quality of life. Approach life as a series of possibilities and opportunities rather than a maze of obstacles and limitations.
- Be persistent: if you try something and it doesn’t work, adjust and try again.
- Be flexible: trust in the flow of life rather than needing to control it. Hold things lightly, rather than compulsively grasping tightly to preconceived outcomes.
- Be mindful: be present for what’s happening in the moment, rather than worrying about the future or ruminating over the past.
- Be kind to yourself: self-kindness is just as important as being kind to other people. If you nurture yourself, you will have more to give to others.
The NM Support website and Facebook page have lots of resources on how you can thrive by practicing self-care in your everyday life. Here are some articles to get you started:
- Self-care for nurses and midwives
- Strong like an Amazon: Exercise as self-care
- Watering our souls – Daily practice for self-care!
- Mental health self-care.
If you would like to discuss your self-care plan or require support for any issue, call Nurse & Midwife Support: 1800 667 877.