The NMBA and AHPRA work closely together to regulate Australia’s registered nurses, midwives and students as part of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
The functions of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia include:
- registering nursing and midwifery practitioners and students
- developing standards, codes and guidelines for the nursing and midwifery professions
- handling notifications, complaints, investigations and disciplinary hearings
- assessing overseas trained practitioners who wish to practise in Australia, and
- approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study.
AHPRA supports the NMBA in its role of protecting the public, including by managing the registration and notification processes.