One in five Australians, including adolescents and children, live with chronic pain. Yet chronic pain remains one of the least understood and poorly resourced areas of healthcare. Painaustralia was formed in February 2011 to facilitate implementation of the National Pain Strategy 2011 (NPS)
The goals of the National Pain Strategy are:
- people in pain as a national health priority
- knowledgeable, empowered and supported consumers
- skilled professionals and best-practice evidence-based care
- access to interdisciplinary care at all levels
- quality improvement and evaluation and
Painaustralia's role is to work with governments, healthcare professionals and consumers to ensure Australians have better access to pain management services, through delivery of best practice models of care across the healthcare system.